Arrow

SMP Architects

East Park Canoe House Ribbon Cutting

On March 9th, the Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation held a ribbon cutting ceremony for the newly renovated East Park Canoe House.  This 1914 Spanish Mission Revival style building, designed by Walter T. Smedley, is located on the Schuylkill River along Kelly Drive in Fairmount Park and is a contributing feature to the National Register Historic District of Fairmount Park.  After suffering serious deterioration and closing in 2008 due to structural failures, SMP led the design efforts to extensively rehabilitate the interior and exterior.  Now restored to its original use as a boathouse, the space will be shared by the Temple University rowing and crew teams and the Philadelphia Police Marine Unit.
 
  • Canoe House interior